Next Generation case studies, learning and webinars
Next Generation is working with 11 organisations to develop and test new business models on behalf of the community energy sector. The project aims to create a step change in the development of genuinely sustainable, financially viable and innovative community businesses, helping to raise the profile of place-based community energy activity with policy-makers and industry. The initiative is funded by Power to Change, the independent trust that supports community businesses in England and is a funder of Community Energy England.
Next Generation has collected key learning on this page, including introductory webinars on starting a community energy organisation.
In collaboration with Community Energy England, the project has produced a series of inspiring Innovation Lab webinars featuring sector-leading community energy organisations, which you can watch below.
Next Generation have also worked with some of the organisations they're supporting to create project case studies and resources. You can access it all here or go to information on particular projects using the links below:
- CREW Energy aims to use community ownership of renewable heat to tackle three issues in society: climate change, fuel poverty and air quality. They aim to achieve their goals through education, outreach, community funding, delivery and maintenance of heat networks and renewable heating systems. Case study - Introductory video - Detailed Innovation Lab Video
- Plymouth Energy Community is working to deliver community led, net zero carbon affordable housing with a view to incorporating stacked energy service business models that deliver electricity, heat and mobility into housing development. Case study - Introductory video
- Gloucestershire Community Energy Cooperative is working with Stroud District Council to enable installation of heatpumps in council owned properties. Case study - Introductory video
- Carbon Co-op is establishing a Community Energy Data Co-operative for their members in Greater Manchester, creating a replicable business model featuring services enabled by the analysis and processing of large amounts of members’ home energy and behavioural data. Case study - Introductory video - Detailed Innovation Lab Video
- Bath and West Community Energy are working with Stemy Energy on a community centred approach to building a network of small consumers, able to offer flexibility services to their local DNO. Case study - Introductory video
If you’d like any further information on the Next Generation programme, please contact Will Walker at Power to Change (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Rachel Haycock at CSE (email@example.com).
- Next Generation Innovation Lab - Low Carbon Hub
- Next Generation Innovation Lab - C.H.E.E.S.E. (energy efficiency)
- Next Generation Innovation Lab - Nadder Community Energy, EV car club
- Next Generation Innovation Lab - CREW Energy
- Next Generation Community Solar Webinars: The Low Carbon Hub Model
- Next Generation Innovation Lab - Energy Local
- Next Generation Innovation Lab - Brighton Energy Co-op